Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Flower Patch and the consequences of aging :)

In 1989 Snowbound was published by Red Wagon. Since then I've published I don't know how many books - by myself and in conjunction with other designers. As I've gotten older, I no longer have the energy to publish books of my quilts - so I'm pretty well just doing patterns. I leave the books to younger folks or organizations like the KC Star. (By the way, the 2nd block in our Star BOM came out in the paper today for those of you in the area. For those that aren't in the area or can't get the Star see my February block picture to the right to download or order the pattern from the Star.)



Anyway .... larger quilts don't show up well on patterns. Flower Patch is an awesome quilt - I really like it. Shannon used it as the wallpaper this month on the Home Page of the website, she liked it so much. And I really don't like the way it shows up on the pattern or even the individual blocks. The color is too dull on one and too bright on the other.



But then, color was always a problem in books too. At least you could see the detail though - even if the color was right. Aaah well........I'm doing a book for Quiltmania next year. I think I'll put Flower Patch in it and let them do the struggling. For right now you can order it as a kit and see the color for yourself. If you like flower quilts and my quilts, I promise you'll like it. :)

15 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful quilt. I just saw the button on the side for your BOM in pdf form, I love that. I do love that pattern and love instant patterns, so going to get those and make that one.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mystery quilt would be great fun. Love it! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one of your quilts for a very special friend as a wedding quilt. It had "heart to hand" blocks and I used a tracing of the bride and groom's hands to personalize it. I'm working on your Girl Gang quilt this year in a fun group at my local quilt shop. I think this mystery quilt contest is just what I need to keep quilting and creating. thanks for entering my name.

    Linda Kae

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your quilts and your fabrics soooo much! pitty that you cab not pay by paypall....

    greeting, jeannet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made several of your quilts and have several of your quilt kits "stock piled!" I would love to be chosen to win a membership to the 2010 Mystery Quilt Club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan - I've always loved your quilts as I really like the BIG applique pieces - especially now that I'm doing hand applique. I'm working on Sunny Days now (the quilt shop where I work is offering it as a BOM) and love it. I'm excited about the opportunity to perhaps win your mystery quilt membership - I love mysteries, too!!

    Jacque Wright

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jan just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy working on your patterns. i am in the present girlgang and have done the one from last year and the one from 2007. Acutally I got hooked on them from a lady who does it every year, her name is Joanne B, but she got very sick this year and could not do it so I am doing this one for her. But shhhhh don't tell. Anyway would love to do a mystery, have never done one and thanks for the opportunity to be in the running ofr doing one for free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this quilt is very pretty. I love your version of the flower wreaths.
    It would be so cool to be chosen for the mystery quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always love your stuff. I've made a lot of quilts with your books and patterns. Had to leave a comment for the BOM drawing - hope this post is ok. Couldn't swing it money wise this year, so maybe I"ll win the drawing! One can hope can't she!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your blog. I know what you mean about our animals knowing that Spring is coming. We live in what I guess you would call a city, but we do have two little hens that we love. They have been so good to us, because they have beening their eggs everyday for us. My husband bought a special heater for chickens that he installed in their run and they love roosting by it at night. I love your quilts they are all beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them and your ideas and feelings with us. Have a wonderful day. Please enter my name for the mystery quilt contest. I love mystery quilts!!!
    Sincerely,
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice quilt, it is very peaceful....or should I say pieceful?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been doing your Mystery Quilts for as long as you have designed them, and I love doing them. Your designs are just wonderful, and I look forward to the new one each year. Do not stop. Bev Old Remanants

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just received your e-mail about the Mystery Quilt Contest. I love your mystery quilts so of course I jumped on posting a comment right away. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love love your quilts and have made many. Wouls love to be chosen to win the mystery quilt! Cathy

    ReplyDelete