Tuesday, May 1, 2012


If you get an email that says this


  Just writing to let you know our trip to Spain Madrid   has been a mess. I was having a great time until last night when we got mugged and lost all my cash, credit card and cell phone It has been a scary experience, I was hit at the back of my neck with a club. Anyway.I'm still alive and that's whats important. I'm financially strapped right now and need your help. I need you to loan me some $$, I'll refund it to you as soon as i arrive home.Please let me know what you can do 

Byron Patek
Jan Patek Quilts 

Ignore it please.  We're not in Madrid - didn't get mugged.
Someone hacked into our Yahoo account apparently and got all of our addresses.  Thanks to all of you who alerted us.
Just one more crazy thing.


  1. Oh Jan...what a mess! I shall stop and say a prayer for you all in this challenging time. You may want to consider another avenue of email account. I've had a Gmail account for years and have never been hacked. God bless you! Hang in there! Jeremiah 29:11

  2. Hi Jan..That happened to my mom here in Calif. She is 90. They said they were in jail in canada and needed money to get home.claimed to be a attorney of her grandson. It is in our paper and on the radio alot. Glad your safe and not in Madrid. Barbara

  3. OMG!that's scary! I hope nobody sent the money. Sorry you had to go through that.

  4. Oh that is always a pain, happened to me last month, weird people!!!
    Glad all is well. I'd send you money if you needed it, maybe you would bring me a trinket for the trouble.
    Cheers, you keep smiling!

  5. That is too funny, I felt so bad for you, as I read it but couldn't believe you would ask for money, lol. Then I noticed what it was really about. Well, I am glad it was a lie and you are ok, sad what hackers will do.


  6. That happened to a friend of mine last fall. It was the same exact email and it was supposedly sent by her husband who had died the week before. I felt really bad for her having to deal with that in the middle of her grief.

  7. Glad I didn't get the email, would be thinking what the heck you're doing when you should be getting ready for market . Wonder why people do this, like who would send money without checking. Just want to slap them. Thinking you need a computer intervention.

  8. Wonder where the money would have gone.