NEW EMAIL ADDRESS

WE HAVE A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
janpatekquiltsinc@gmail.com.
Please send all emails to that address

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Getting ready for April and Moda Blockheads Block #4 with instructions

By Me :)

But first.....
April is almost here and thank heavens we've had a few "April Showers".
To get us all in the mood for April we've put our Parasol Princess kit on sale for 25% off.
Stitching on it's cheery fabrics will drive away any "blahs" the showers might bring.

While we're talking about stitching I should stop and talk about thread - that's our subject for this week.  I mainly use a 60 weight thread to appliqué with - of course matching the color of the thread to the appliqué, not the background.



Here's the little Table Stand Quilt I posted last week 
(You can get either kit by clicking here)


And look what hatched this week ---
6 brand new baby Bantys.


Now if I can just figure out how to train them to pull a cart :)
Probably not....

The 
Moda Blockhead block
 for week #4 is a 6" Beeskep Block 
and you can download the corrected pattern with instructions by clicking here. 


For those of you who aren't quite sure what a "beeskep" is, this one is an
English Straw Bee Skep.  For centuries, beekeepers used "skeps" (domed baskets), to house their hives.


                                     

Here are two that live in my garden. 
Beeskeps show up in my quilts frequently so, of course, I had to have a 6" one.

Now lets check out what the other designers have done with my block by going to their blogs


Have a great week ladies and meet me back here next Wednesday when we'll be seeing the block for Week #5 of the Moda Blockheads BOW.

Sorry ladies but we forgot to include page #2 (the one with the directions) of the beeskep block.
I could post  the original pdf here so you can read it but don't know how to make is available for download.  I just sent it to Moda again and if you go to  http://unitednotions.com/blockheads_04_beeskep.pdf  it will be there.
We'll get all of these kinks worked out by the end, we promise :)

And for those of you who want some tips on appliqué, I have done a whole series of You Tube tutorials that you can watch at 
https://youtube.com/user/janpatekquilts.  
If you're really new to appliqué start with the "Basics" series.

Just copy the address and put it in your browser.

Have fun ladies, there's a whole new world to be explored out there.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fun block, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your talent and your animal family with us. Really enjoying being a "Blockhead", and the appliqué blocks add a whole new dimension to the process. Great block for beginners to get their feet wet with too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jan! Just what I love! I think I have all the fabrics used in your block and I will make it as soon as I come home from work. Hope all your blocks will be applique! I definitively want to make your center piece/finish for this quilt!!! You are simply the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! That is just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved making your block, Jan! Your block is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm missing something here. Are there any directions for this block. The download is just the outline of the block. I am not an appliquer, so I have no idea how to make this block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we goofed a little. Go to Moda's blog http://blog.modafabrics.com/ and the directions will be there to download..; Sorry :(

      Delete
  7. I really like the skep. It was a nice surprise of variation to the other blocks so far and a perfect motif. It reminds me of the tall skeps that were in the PBS version of Pride and Prejudice. They were in the garden that Mr. Collins tended.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be fun to see everyone's interpretation of your beeskep in the fabrics they are using -- I'm off to figure mine out! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to you all.; This is really fun - goofs and all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to tell you that I truly appreciate your time and efforts. And I adore this block.

    ReplyDelete
  11. more oops I cannot find the page with the correction on when I click on the link it says page isn`t there so still no instructions for the block.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jan ~ I went to the new link for page 2 of Beeskep, but I'm still seeing only page 1. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jan, Great block and thanks for the reference to your UTube appliqué instructions. Say, I am wondering..., are you related to a Z. Patek who use to be a nurse in Ann Arbor? Just thinking it is a small world, and she was/is a wonderful person & great nurse. Anyway, thanks for the cute appliqué block.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No one can find the instructions on Moda website, as the link to Block 4 just sends you back here - ???

    ReplyDelete