NEW EMAIL ADDRESS

WE HAVE A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
janpatekquiltsinc@gmail.com.
Please send all emails to that address

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Moda Blockheads # 16 - Me again -

Two Flags


I'll give you the link to download the pattern in a minute but first I want to tell you that there is a mistake in the directions.  They tell you to add 1/4" seam allowance except to the poles and the red stripes.  No -- the poles and stripes need 1/4" seam allowance too so please forgive our "oops".

With that said you can download the pattern by clicking here.


First we need the background for the stripes and the field and we need one pattern and one pattern reversed.
So cut two pieces of background fabric and place them with the wrong sides together.
Iron your freezer paper template to one piece of fabric and cut out both background with about 1/4" seam allowance.
Draw around the template and remove it.


Place the second piece of fabric on the sandpaper board, turn your template around


and hold it in place while you draw around it.
Now you have both flags ready for stripes and "fields".

Both the stripes and the poles are 1/4" finished.
If this was a larger block or there were more of them, I would definitely use a 1/4" Clover Bias Maker.
They aren't just useful for bias but for stems, flag stripes, poles, anything that you want a nice straight edge on.  They come in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" too.
Straight edges are really sometime more difficult to applique than curves.
To see my tutorial on doing stems, etc. anything with straight edges, click here.



But.... since a whole lot of you won't have one, lets figure out another way to get our stripes and poles done.


The backgrounds are about 2" wide and there are 8 stripes in all. 
So - giving ourselves some fudge room, cut a strip of red 3/4" x 17", 
 fold it in thirds lengthwise, and press the heck out of it.



Now cut two strips the width of the background and two slightly shorter.


Applique in place.


Cut out your "field" and appliqué in place.


And since the flag is so small and bulky I cut out behind the "field".


And since it's so bulky, I baste under the whole flag before appliquéing to the pole and the background.
As an aside I cut the poles 3/4" x 7" each and folded them in thirds like the stripes.  I trim them to size later and turn the bottom ends under when appliquéing. 

I hope you have as much fun with them as I did.  
It's quite a change for me to be doing things this small.

Now lets go see what the others have done with the flags.


Have a great week ladies and meet me back here next Wednesday for Week #17 of the Moda Blockheads BOW.



6 comments:

  1. thanks for this latest block have printed off and altered the instructions before I forget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the perfect block to fit in with my patriotic theme. I loved it so much I had to do one in wool applique too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had a crazy month! I love your block and will try to get mine done tonight. Best to you both!

    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete