NEW EMAIL ADDRESS

WE HAVE A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
janpatekquiltsinc@gmail.com.
Please send all emails to that address

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Spring into Spring

Starting the day with appliqué 

I'm working on the front of the 
May Basket Tablestand.
Done - now on to the back.  


Tablestands are some of my favorite little quilts,
especially the backs as they are usually
four 6" squares.  I started doing them just 
because of the 6" squares on the back.  
I should be able to show them to you next week.


I hope everyone had a good Easter weekend.
We decided to leave the coconut off of the
bunny cake this year for a change.
The weather was warm enough that 
he didn't need it to keep warm. :).


Gardening on the deck has begun in Ernest.


This year I cheated a little and got some lettuce 
plants at the greenhouse.  I planted a row of 
zinnias (small ones) behind then and they've already 
started sprouting.


And besides my herbs and succulents
I planted a few more zinnia seeds 
in the teapot for a splash of color.


This is Hovering Hawks and Peonies by
Denise French and the design of this
quilt has a little story.


I originally saw a picture of a full size quilt with
this border and these blocks.  It was in a book about
quilts of the Mormon migration.
I decided to make a wallhanging using the designs from
the picture so I drafted the blocks and drew out the borders.
And let me tell you those Hovering Hawks blocks 
weren't easy to draft - at least not for me.
Somewhere in this process a quilt magazine asked me
for quilt designs and I submitted this one, telling them
that it was an adaptation of an antique quilt.
They published the quilt but somehow forgot
to say it was an adaptation of an antique quilt.

Luckily after an outcry a different magazine author
wrote an article defending people who went to the
trouble to work out patterns from antiques so we all
could enjoy them.

But I made double sure after that when I sent patterns
from antique quilts that the publisher would verify
that it originally came from an antique.

I still really like this little wallhanging and thank you 
Denise for doing such a beautiful job on it.

   And if you're not on our email list,
get in touch with /Tammie to see how to join.
We're having a really special Easter sale kit this week.
See you next week ladies.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment